5/13/10

Granny's Cobbler


My good friend made her Granny's cobbler on Easter--and seriously I thought I had a really great cobbler recipe, but this one put it on the back burner. So, last week I made it. Pretty much just for myself which is somewhat pathetic, but I'm pregnant so that's my excuse. I would like to state for the record that a scoop of vanilla ice cream is mandatory on top of this warm cobbler.

The original recipe is for peach cobbler but I didn't have enough peaches so I subbed some frozen blueberries and it was fab. I would think any kind of fruit--fresh or frozen would work great. I used frozen so I added in a Tb or so of flour and tossed it with the fruit so it wouldn't be so juicy.

Also, this recipe is for an 8'' square pan but if you double it it works great in a 9x13. I did make a minor adjustment to the butter--"Granny's" recipe called for an entire stick of butter and since it was for myself I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Note** I made this a double batch the other day in a 9x13....I totally messed it up and it was wierd and not good. First, I forgot the sugar in with the fruit, so it wasn't sweet enough, then I baked it for the alloted time, but you definitely need to bake longer for the bigger pan. The top looked golden brown, but inside it was gooey and the topping wasn't cooked all the way..overall, gross. It gave "granny's cobbler" a bad name. SO--follow the recipe and make sure the topping is cooked through!

Granny's Cobbler

Fruit:
3 Tb butter (or more)
5 cups of peaches
3/4 cup sugar
Crust:
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400. Melt butter in the bottom of an 8'' pan. Mix the fruit and sugar together (and add a Tb flour if you like it thicker) and spread in the pan. In a separate bowl mix together all crust ingredients and pour over the top of the fruit. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Serve with ice cream.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment