1/21/13

Vegan Red Beans and Rice




I'm posting this recipe just to show you all how simple it can be to make food you already like vegetarian or even vegan.  Now, I still insist that I have no intentions of becoming a vegan but I do believe that eating fewer animal products could do everyone a little good.  So, this recipe has so been done before, but we really, really love this meal (I probably make it every other week),  it freezes well (minus the rice) and is very inexpensive, easy and flavorful.  All that to say there isn't anything eye-opening about this but it's easy.  When I'm making something like this I up the seasonings a little bit to make up for the sausage that is usually in this meal, which adds flavor and salt.

On a side note, the best vegetable base/stock/bouillion I've found is Organic Better Than Bouillion Vegetable Base.  It's so good.  I haven't found it at my regular grocery store but Sprouts has it all the time.


Vegan Red Beans and Rice

1 lb dried small red beans, rinsed (kidney beans are not the same)
6 c. water + 2 Tb vegetable base
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. Tony's or seasoned salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. smoked paprika
dash of liquid smoke

For Serving:
cooked rice
4 green onions, sliced
Frank's Red Hot

Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours.  Mash the beans some with a fork or a potato masher.  To serve, ladle some beans into a bowl and top with  rice, sprinkle with green onions & serve with Frank's Red Hot.
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment