3/9/10

Jalapeno Pesto


So my husband and I have this probably unhealthy obsession with food and where we can get "famous" food so we love to watch the Travel Channel and Food Network shows that showcase little restaurants around the country and their culinary goodness.

Usually my husband will see something on one of these episodes and insist that I figure out how to make it. This is one of those things. We were watching Guy on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and he was sampling a steak sandwich somewhere with a jalapeno pesto and Rob couldn't get it out of his head for days and continually insisted that I make it. So...this recipe is thanks to the inspiration of Guy Fieri and whichever "dive" he was showing that day.

I have to say it turned out really good. I mean tas-ty. I've made it a few times already and put it on sandwiches, tossed with pasta and chicken and tomatoes, and mixed with mayo on a turkey burger. So--give it a whirl. It didn't turn out that spicy the first time so I added the ribs and seeds the second time and it was much more "kicky". So if you like it spicy add the whole jalapeno. If you don't like it spicy, cut out the seeds and ribs.

Stay tuned for the upcoming recipe for the steak sandwich...yumm.

Jalapeno Pesto
  • 1/3 c. pine nuts
  • 1 large bunch cilantro
  • 1 large bunch parsley
  • 5-8 garlic cloves (just go for it!)
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1/2 c. shredded parmesan cheese (NOT out of a can!)
  • salt to taste
  • half a lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 c. olive oil
In a food processer, (I love mine) blend the nuts, parsley, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and cheese until coarsely chopped. Add salt and lemon and pulse a few times. While the processer is running on low slowly stream in the olive oil until incorporated. Taste and adjust salt if needed.

**Note--this freezes really well so if you don't use it all the first time toss it in the freezer for later use.

http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcrackedupkitchen.blogspot.com%2F2010%2F03%2Fjalapeno-pesto.html&media=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-aMppKdrQkl8%2FUE6PHaW7KKI%2FAAAAAAAAAGU%2FONxARZnUDRA%2Fs1600%2Fjalapeno%2Bpesto.JPG&description=Jalapeno%20Pesto


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous23/1/11

    THANK YOU for cloning this recipe! I saw that episode last night in a rerun of Triple D and was DYING for the recipe. Looked all over foodnetwork.com; did a google search - and yours looked the best and closest to what they made! I can't wait to try this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura28/1/11

    This is the one I wrote down according to the shows recipe...

    Jalapeno Pesto:
    Freash Cilantro, about 3 cups
    a couple Jalapenos, cut up
    whole garlic cloves, about 6
    Extra Virgin Olive oil, about a 1/2 cup
    Grated parmesan cheese, about 3/4 cup
    freash Lemon Juice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! My husband and I saw that episode last night. He wanted me to try and make it and this was the best recipe I found, funny that the inspiration came from the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that show!! After we saw it my husband insisted I make it too!

      Delete