7/27/10

Taco Pizza




Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay we've had some internet trouble and so I've been trying to get it figured out while my husband is in another country (another continent actually) and I'm kind of "challenged" in that department. So, since I can't get my PC to connect to the internet I can't post the pictures so I will just post the recipe and the picture of the Happy Joe's "Taco Joe" to help you use your imagination to picture what "taco pizza" looks like. As soon as it's up, I'll post the actual pic!

Growing up in Iowa one of our favorite pizza places was Happy Joe's. AND my favorite pizza was taco pizza. A few years ago when we were visiting my grandparents/aunts/uncles in Iowa I took Rob there for taco pizza and he quickly decided Happy Joe's was his favorite restaurant. For the past weeks I have been craving this pizza and since it's very very expensive to have one shipped...I made my own. It turned out great and Rob requested I start making it once a week! SO....just try the recipe, you won't be disappointed even though it sounds strange.

As a note--when I was a kid in Iowa, taco-flavored Doritos were readily available--they came in an orange bag. But I haven't seen them in years and years. Luckily they now have new "late-night" Doritos and Taco flavored is one of the choices! Use those if you can find them, but in a pinch nacho cheese will do!





Taco Pizza


  • 1 can Pillsbury thin-crust pizza dough
  • 1 1/2 c. refried beans
  • 1/4 c. salsa
  • 1 Tb taco seasoning
  • 3/4 lb ground beef
  • 2-3 Tb taco seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)
  • 2 c. shredded cheddar
  • 2 Tb onion, minced
  • 2 c. shredded lettuce
  • 3/4 c. diced tomato
  • taco Doritos, crushed
  • sour cream
  • taco sauce

Preheat oven to 400. Unroll dough and press into a cookie sheet. Bake the dough 5-7 minutes until lightly browned. In the meantime heat the beans and mix in the salsa and 1 Tb taco seasoning. Brown the ground beef, drain and add in the 2-3 Tb taco seasoning and a little water and cook over low heat a few minutes. Top the pre-baked crust with the bean mixture, then the meat, then the onions, then the cheddar cheese. Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is completely cooked. Remove the pizza from the oven and top with the lettuce, tomatoes, crushed taco Doritos and sour cream and taco sauce to your liking. Enjoy!

**If you think you won't eat the whole pizza in one sitting...hmmm that sounds bad just writing that. But really--if you won't eat the entire pizza you may want to only cover half the pizza with the lettuce tomatoes and chips because it doesn't re-heat well that way. And trust me, you'll want to re-heat the leftovers for lunch the next day. (or a midnight snack)



post signature

3 comments:

  1. This is almost like taco pie! YUM!!! I'm sure this will become a family favorite for mine too :) Thanks for the great ideas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - this sounds DIVINE!!!! It was so great to meet you officially today! But I have to say, I was jealous before at how awesome you are at cooking and saving money and organizing... and now that I met you - you are gorgous with great hair and hardly looked hot at all while standing in the SUN!... there are words for people like you but I am a lady and don't say them... plus don't want to offend! :0)
    See ya tomorrow at swim... try to look a little ruffled will ya?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm....Lees--you are too kind. Seriously. I actually tried to be late yesterday to swim so I wouldn't have to see you for the first time on my 2nd day with no shower...ha! Really really really you are too kind. But you made my day so thanks! Oh, and the pizza is super delish so you should all make it!

    ReplyDelete