4/11/11

Mexican Chicken Casserole

Well 10 days ago I said I would post this recipe "tomorrow." ...it never happened.  I'm having trouble getting everything done in a day so here we are!

I found this recipe in Cooking Light  Magazine and made it with a few changes...it's really good!   I do have to admit that it's "involved". This recipe takes more time than what I typically spend on a meal, but it is loaded with vegetables and it's really good.

I try to chop all the veggies, cook the chicken, and make the salsa ahead of time.  That  makes everything go faster at dinner time.  You do not need to make your own salsa.  I think a jar would be just fine and save lots of time.

Mexican Chicken Casserole
2 c. chunky tomato salsa (I use this recipe)
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. corn kernels
1 c. diced zucchini, summer or mexican squash
1 c. chopped bell pepper or poblano
2 c. chopped or shredded cooked chicken
1 c. black beans
3 garlic cloves,  minced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 10 oz can green enchilada sauce
1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
12 corn tortillas
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. crumbled feta cheese

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat the pan with cooking spray and saute onion, corn, squash and bell pepper.  Saute until tender.  Add chicken, black beans, garlic, seasonings, enchilada sauce and chiles and cook until heated through.  Remove pan from heat.  To assemble casserole, spread 1/2 c. salsa in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.  Arrange half of the tortilas over the salsa.  Spoon half the chicken mixture over the tortillas.  Top with 3/4 c. salsa and 1/2 c. of each cheese.  Repeat the layers.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

1/8th of this is 331 calories, 12 g. fat and 5 g fiber.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment