6/26/11

Classic Coleslaw



I have a roast cooking in the crockpot for some bbq beef sandwiches, which I will post the recipe for later, and while I was planning my meal I came across this recipe on Our Best Bites.  It looked so good I just quickly whipped some up to serve alongside our sandwiches, and possibly on top of them!

I adapted the recipe just a little bit because we like things vinegar-y.  The original recipe called for green pepper but I had red so I substituted and it turned out great, but I think that green pepper would actually be better in this slaw.
This would be a great Fourth of July menu item!

Classic Coleslaw
adapted from Our Best Bites

1 c. mayo (note--on this blog unless I otherwise note, I always use reduced-fat mayo)
2 Tb. dijon or spicy mustard
2-3 Tb. apple cider vinegar ( I use 3)
2 Tb. sugar
1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
2 Tb. onion, minced (any color)
16 oz bag coleslaw mix or 6 c. shredded cabbage
2 shredded carrots
1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped

In a small-ish bowl combine mayo, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt.  Mix well and set aside.  In a large bowl combine onion, slaw or cabbage, carrots and bell pepper.  Mix in the dressing and refrigerate one hour--or more--before serving.




post signature
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment