9/20/11

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Caramel Icing



I found the recipe for these pumpkin cupcakes here.  The original recipe called for yellow cake but I felt like a spice cake would be more fall-y, and it was.  The only brand of spice cake I could find is Duncan Hines so keep your eyes open for it.

These cupcakes were so awesome and...LOW fat/calories.  I highly recommend this 2-ingredient recipe.
For the frosting, I was thinking of using a classic cream cheese frosting until I found this recipe for caramel icing.  It. Is. So. Good.  These cupcakes would be a great addition to any fall gathering, even your Halloween block party.  (I think the burnt butter frosting would be great on these cupcakes too.)

Pumpkin Cupcakes

1 15-oz can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1 box spice cake mix

Pre-heat oven to 350.  Mix together pumpkin and cake mix.  Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool before frosting.

Caramel Icing

3 Tb butter

1/4 c. heavy cream (I subbed half and half)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt

Melt butter, cream, and brown sugar in a sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat until it just starts boiling.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.  Let the butter mixture cool and then stir in powdered sugar.  Use to frost the pumpkin cupcakes.






post signature
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment