8/8/12

Coconut Milk Ice Cream





I was blessed to have someone give me a brand new ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer and have been delighted to learn how simple it is to use. (I'd highly recommend taking the plunge if you have the mixer.)  I'm sure you could make this ice cream in an old fashioned ice cream maker with the ice and rock salt or my friend told me she made it using the "science experiment method" with 2 ziploc bags and it worked that way too!  (See link for a tutorial on that method!) However you do it, I recommend trying this recipe even if dairy isn't an issue for you.

I made this coconut milk ice cream for my son when we first started him on a dairy & gluten free diet.  It turns out we all liked it!  It is super simple to make, very little prep, and it tastes good.  I have made both the vanilla and chocolate versions and both are great!  One tip--this sets pretty hard in the freeer, so set it out on the counter for 10 minutes before attempting to re-scoop.

Coconut Milk Ice Cream
recipe adapted from Whole New Mom

4 c. full-fat coconut milk (I used a carton, but cans work well)
2/3 c. sugar
1-2 tsp. vanilla
dash salt
3/4 c. cocoa powder (for chocolate ice cream)
Churn in an ice cream maker 20-30 minutes and serve immediately or freeze until you're ready to eat it.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment