10/9/12

Pinspiration -- Grout Cleaner




Super shocking, but...I'm kind of a Pinterest junkie.  I love finding crafts, recipes and diy ideas on there.  I thought it would be fun to start blogging about the "Pinspiration" I've found and how it's worked out for me.  Today, I am humbling myself to show you my disgusting, black grout.  (Apparently once every eight years isn't often enough to scrub your grout.)


I found this idea on Pinterest for a homemade cleaner for your grout that is supposed to be super amazing.  I have known (for too long) that I needed to clean my grout, and I'd love to pay someone to do it, but frankly if I was going to spend over $100 on something it wouldn't be that! So I knew I needed to do it myself.  I looked up the recipe, made a batch in a very clearly labled container and went to work.

This works! Unfortunately, this is not a miracle cleaner.  I was kind of hoping I would be able to spray the grout, let it sit a while, and wipe it off.  It didn't work that way.  Sadly, I was doing the Cinderella move for several hours, because we have a few hundred square feet of tile.  After a quick run to Target to buy a grout brush, which I would say is a complete necessity for this job, I got my groove going and my floors look amazing.  Then I iced my back.  For a long time.

Overall, this works.  I will do it again, with my eyes wide open that I will burn 10,000 calories and sweat a lot doing it, but much much sooner than eight years!


Grout Cleaner
recipe from food.com

1/2 c. baking soda
1/3 c. ammonia
1/4 c. white vinegar
7 c. water

Supplies needed:
large container to mix cleaner in
Empty spray bottle for using
bucket of clean water
cleaning rag
grout brush

Mix everything together in a large container and shake well to combine.  Pour some of the cleaner into a spray bottle.  On your hands and knees (fun!), spray a small section of grout and let it sit a minute.  Scrub with the grout brush and wipe away the dirt as you go.  Enjoy!!



post signature

1 comment:

  1. You should point out that good ventilation should be present, the ammonia can be over powering. But yep sure does work!

    ReplyDelete