1/15/13

Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Tamale Bake



Eating vegan is no big deal.  I mean, don't get me wrong, the thought of eating vegan for a month freaked me out, but once I got into the groove of it (read: found a suitable half and half substitution for my coffee) it's no biggie.  I've made several vegan meals and my family of five has enjoyed them all, which is super exciting!

This recipe I adapted from the chicken tamale bake, and despite the vegan adaptions, it was great.  If you're  eating vegetarian feel free to use a real egg in place of the flax egg and sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top. If you have time to roast the veggies ahead of time that will make putting this meal together even faster.

Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Tamale Bake

2 small yellow squash or zuchinni, thinly sliced
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 bell peppers, any color, thinly sliced
1 can black beans, drained very well (I dried mine with a paper towel!)
1 box jiffy corn muffin mix
1 Tb flax meal + 3 Tb. water (or 1 egg)
1/3 c. milk of your choice (I used soy milk)
1 can creamed corn
1 tsp. cumin
dash of cayenne pepper
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce

Preheat the oven to 425.  Layer the yellow squash on one cookie sheet and the peppers and onions on a another cookie sheet.  Bake 10 minutes then stir with a spatula and rotate the pans.  Bake another 10 minutes.  At this point the squash should be cooked but the peppers may need longer.  Cook peppers & onions until they are soft.  Remove the veggies from the oven and then them cool.  
 
Turn the oven down to 350 and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  In a small bowl or ramekin mix the flax meal with the water and let it stand 5 minutes.  Stir the flax egg before dumping it into the corn mixture. Mix together the corn muffin mix, flax egg, milk, creamed corn, cumin & cayenne pepper and stir well to combine.
 
Pour the corn mixture into the 9x13 pan and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and poke holes in the corn cake with a fork.  Pour the enchilada sauce over the corn cake and then layer on the roasted veggies and black beans.  Return to the oven another 15-20 minutes or until the corn cake is cooked through.  Top with sour cream or tofutti "Better than Sour Cream", if desired.
 
 
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I hate to burst your vegan bubble (being vegan myself), but Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix has lard in it. I've still not mastered a vegan corn muffin yet....well I found a pre-mix at WHole Foods, but yikes it was expensive.

    ReplyDelete