2/11/13

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad



We love quinoa.  And we really love bbq chicken, so when I saw this recipe pop up I knew I had to make it! We really liked it and I think you could make different variations of this salad.  A little ranch drizzle would be great too!  We ate it warm, but the next day Rob and I both ate it cold for lunch leftover and it was great both ways.  For a filling, protein-rich, low fat dinner it was a hit! I'm thinking this will go into our regular summer dinner rotation because I always have my eyes out for cold make-ahead summer dinners around here.

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad
recipe adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny

1 1/2 c. dry quinoa
3 c. water
dash salt

3 c. shredded cooked chicken 
1 can corn, drained well
1 can black beans, drained well
1/2 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1/3 c. cilantro, chopped
salt & pepper
1/3 c. bbq sauce

Toppings:
chopped cilantro
diced avocado
shredded pepper jack cheese
bbq sauce
ranch dressing

Bring the water to a boil in a large sauce pan.  Stir in quinoa & salt and lower heat to medium-low and cook 15 minutes.  Remove quinoa from heat and fluff with a fork.  Stir quinoa, shredded chicken, corn, beans, bell pepper, onions, cilantro, salt, pepper and bbq sauce together in a large bowl.  Top with extra cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese and a drizzle of bbq sauce and/or ranch dressing. Enjoy!
 
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment