10/25/09

1-2-3 Dip


I have insomnia very rarely--usually I'm hitting a REM cycle about the time my head hits the pillow. But tonight I can't go to sleep, I've tried everything so I got up to do a blog post on my regular, family blog and now I'm eating some more of this leftover dip so I just have to put up the recipe.

I recently had all of the girls from my small group over for a chance to chat without children--or men-- and my friend Jen made this dip. When she told me what it was I thought, "hmmm, that sounds...interesting." Then I tried it. That was the end of that. This dip is amazing. I think the possibilities are endless with this. You could smear this on some garlic toast and sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top and toast it up under the broiler. You could pound out some chicken breasts and stuff the dip inside and bake to perfection, maybe drop a giant dollop on your next baked potato, use as a pasta topping, make an entire batch and sit down with a spoon and scarf it down like a ravenous wolf---endless possibilities. I pretty much can't be trusted with this dip in my house ever again so I don't know whether to thank Jen for her genious concoction or never allow her in my home again with a casserole dish. I actually just threw the last of it away so that I wouldn't be able to eat it anymore. I. Must. Stick. To my diet. From now on anyway.

There is no picture. Just trust me, it's really really really good. Perfect for a party, get-together, show, any opportunity to stuff your face and go over your daily calorie goals--whatever. Also the greatest thing about this dip is that there are only three ingredients, all of which I usually have on hand. So if you need an appetizer to bring somewhere in a snap--here you go! I almost added a few crushed garlic cloves or a drizzle of truffle oil, but I decided it was just perfect as is and needed no additions.

123 Dip

1 c. chopped onion

2 c. Mayo (Neeeever use store brand mayo. You MUST use Best Foods or Kraft mayo. Just because. But you can use the reduced-fat kind made with olive oil if you're watching your waistline.)

3 c. Shredded cheddar cheese (Don't use store-brand shredded cheese this time. Try to use Tillamook or Cracker Barrell and shred it yourself.)

Heat oven to 420. Mix all ingredients together in a pie plate or small casserole dish. Bake 25 minutes. Serve with baguette slices. Or really anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment