10/30/09

Halloween Treats



This year for Halloween we're doing a block party with chili & cornbread. Then we're passing out adult "treats" too--homemade hot Apple Cider OR Pumpkin Spice Lattes. The adult treats were Rob's idea, which I think is just an awesome idea!



Of course I needed to test out the pumpkin spice lattes just to make sure they weren't poison so I made a batch the other day and drank them in the morning for two days. SO yummy. Almost as good as Starbucks, pretty darn close actually and definitely much more thrifty and healthful. The recipe is found on the crockpot blog.

The only changes I made to the original recipe was to up the coffe to a little over 1 cup (I'm one of those crazy people that actually likes the taste of coffee.) And I also used half splenda, half sugar. If you do 4 1/2 recipes of the lattes it makes about a gallon.

I already know the apple cider is completely delish so I decided not to try those out since one batch makes close to two gallons and it's a little sugary for my typical 2-cups a day habit. Although tomorrow I definitely plan on having a couple of cups of the hot cider drizzled with caramel and a shot of whipped cream. I better hit the gym during the kids' naps tomorrow!

Hot Apple Cider

1 gallon apple juice or apple cider

2 qts. cranberry juice

1 qt. orange juice

3/4 cup sugar

4 whole cinnamon sticks

Pour all juices into a big stockpot or a large crockpot. Stir in sugar and break the cinnamon sticks in half and add those. To make the cider on the stove: bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and let the cider simmer for an hour. Keep on low heat as long as you need. To cook cider in the crockpot: Turn the crockpot on high 1-2 hours and turn heat down to "Keep Warm" as long as you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment