11/1/09

All-American Chili


Chili is such a great fall and winter comfort food. You just can't go wrong with it! I don't use a recipe for chili, so this time I made it I tried to measure things to see what I did. But really any kind of beans will work, as much or little chili powder or crushed red peppers as you like works too.

You can add corn, diced carrots, celery, any kind of bell pepper to bump up the veggies and definitely substitute beef broth or a bottle of beer for the red wine. OR just leave it out completely. And you can easily make this chili vegetarian by using the soy "beef" crumbles from the freezer aisle, I recently did that to make some for a family in our small group that are vegetarian and we really liked it. (Although I didn't disclose the soy part to my family until after they ate it!)

I made the equivalent of 5 batches of this chili for Halloween yesterday and we have lots leftover but it was a HIT with the neighborhood and we passed out lots of leftovers to the neighbors at the end of the night. AND I used all lean ground turkey and no one noticed!! Ha Ha guys, I tricked you!

*Note, I used the pinto beans I had cooked up earlier in the week, but good ole canned beans are just great too.

All-American Chili

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped or pressed
2-3 Tb. tomato paste
1 cup red wine
2 Tb. brown sugar OR bbq sauce
1 24 oz can diced tomatoes with the juice
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
3 cans pinto beans, drained (or kidney beans, black beans or any combo of beans)
1-2 cups water
2 Tb chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt & pepper to taste

In a soup pot or dutch oven brown the ground beef/turkey with the onions and green pepper. Drain off fat and add in garlic and saute until fragrant. Add in tomato paste and cook until it starts to turn brown. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil and cook a few minutes. Add all other ingredients and cook on medium-low for an hour or longer OR in a crockpot on low for 4 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning as you like. More sugar for a sweeter flavor, more chili powder for spicier. (Cayenne pepper will boost the spice too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment