11/22/09

Penne with Creamy Marinara & Sundried Tomatoes


I'm not sure what to call this besides..."Vodka Penne that didn't happen" and that seems long and not a very good discription of what it is so....Penne with Creamy Marinara & Sundried Tomatoes it is!


I had some whipping cream leftover from the whipped cream cheese frosting I made for Elise's birthday cupcakes (recipe coming...someday) so naturally I had to use it up or else my frugality would suffer. So I thought I'd make Vodka sauce which is sooo delicious. But, then it was dinner time and I had no vodka and neither did my neighbor so I quickly thawed out some chicken sausage and made this up. It turned out good. Everyone in my family scarfed it down like homeless people so that's always a good sign. Elise had seconds which doesn't happen very often. It was also 6:30 at night which is waaay past her dinner time so she was probably starving, but she liked it regardless. I actually took some notes this time of what I did to make this so that I think my recipe is spot on. Try it, it's good.


Penne with Creamy Marinara and Sundried Tomatoes




1 lb penne (or really any short cut pasta)
1 lb sausage (any kind including Jimmy Dean works, I used Italian chicken sausage because of aforementioned waistline problems)
1/4 onion, finely minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. olive oil
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce or tomato puree
salt, pepper
3 T italian seasoning
1/2 T garlic powder
1/2 tsp crushed chilis
2 tsp sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 small jar artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 8-oz pkg sliced mushrooms
3 T juliennned sundried tomatoes
1/4 cup frozen peas

Brown sausage, drain set aside. In the same skillet heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic and mushrooms until tender. Add tomato sauce and seasoning, crushed chili's, garlic powder and sugar. Put the cooked sausage back in there too. Simmer all that together for 20 minutes. Boil the pasta as directed, drain. When you're almost ready to eat add the cream, sundried tomatoes, peas, and artichoke hearts. Heat through. Taste for extra seasoning. Wah-lah.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment