3/31/10

Sugar Cookies with Buttercream Frosting


I don't bake. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before. But I was having an "Aunt Michelle" moment and felt like I should do cutout sugar cookies with my kids. All I can say is...she makes it look easy. But--the cookies turned out delish and my four year-old did cut out three eggs and frosted two (eating them immediately). My husband ate 5 cookies after dinner and our neighbors enjoyed a couple too when they stopped by so overall my cutout cookies were a success.

I found the recipe for the cookies on Our Best Bites and she has a greeat recipe. The frosting is just a traditional buttercream.

Sugar Cookies

1 C real butter
1 C sugar

1 egg

1 1/2 t almond extract (I used vanilla)

3 C flour

1 1/2 t baking powder

1/2 t salt


Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy- about 2 minutes. Add in eggs and extract and mix to incorporate.

In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to co
mbine. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined.

Shape the dough into 2 flat disks and wrap in waxed paper and place in the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350. When you're ready to roll out dough lightly sprinkle flour onto your work surface and roll out dough with a rolling pin. Cut out your cookies and placed on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.


Buttercream Frosting:

  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup milk

    Cream butter, vanilla and powdered sugar. The mixture will be dry. Slowly add in milk until the frosting is at desired consistency.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment