8/30/10

Calico Beans


I love beans. This is a wierd confession--but you've probably noticed. And I've probably blogged about it before. I just like them. In the summer I make lots of different kinds of baked beans and in the winter I make lots of different chilis. If you don't like beans, we could have a problem here!

These calico beans remind me of my Grammy's beans. I kind of forgot about them until last summer when we were in Tennesse for a family reunion and my cousin Terri made some--they were so good! I looked at a few recipes and then threw a bunch of stuff together and it worked. I made these for 4th of July which means apparently I'm a little behind on my blogging! But I've had a few favorites that I felt the need to blog immediately so some stuff got pushed back. Make these, they would make a great Labor Day bbq addition! They work out great in a crockpot or you can bake them too.

Calico Beans

6 strips bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans baked beans (I used Bush's)
1 can butter beans, drained well
1 can lima beans, drained well
1 can kidney beans, drained well
1 c. ketchup
1 c. bbq sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. worcestershire
hot sauce to taste
Brown the ground beef with the onion and drain well. Stir in the garlic at the end and cook until fragrant. In your crockpot or a 9x13'' pan stir all ingredients together. Either bake at 350 for 35 minutes OR cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours in the crockpot.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment