9/2/10

Carrot Macaroni Salad


I haven't blogged in a few days because I've spent my free time doing internet research on ways to induce labor naturally. Well, those ways don't seem to be working, and I'm confident that God wouldn't punish me by causing me to remain pregnant forever, and I refuse to drink castor oil, so I quit. My due date is still 10 days away so I'll just try to be patient and instead post some yummy recipes for you.


My mom has made this macaroni salad for years and years. Its one of my favorites and I've made it a couple times for potlucks and stuff and it isn't the first thing to fly off the buffet table if people don't know what it is because it isn't the best-looking salad. BUT it tastes so good and when people try it then they immediately want the recipe. SO, you should definitely make it --maybe for your Labor Day bbq this weekend. It would pair wonderfully with some bbq ribs, grilled chicken, or beer brats or even burgers. It goes with any grilled meat!

The recipe makes a lot of salad so you definitely want some company to help eat it up. I always make it a little lighter by using fat free sweetened condensed milk and reduced fat mayo and even sometimes I substitute Splenda for the sugar. I have tried this recipe with whole wheat pasta and I'm sorry to say that this is one recipe that the whole wheat doesn't really work with. It just tastes different. But--I'll leave you to your own devices on this one!


Carrot Macaroni Salad

1 lb macaroni, cooked & drained
1 large green pepper, finely diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 carrots, shredded
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 c. vinegar
1/4 c. sugar
2 c. mayo
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (or more to your liking)
Add the chopped/grated veggies to the pasta in a large bowl. In another bowl mix together condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, mayo, salt and pepper. Stir to combine well. Pour the dressing over the pasta and stir it all together. Chill at least 4 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment