8/15/10

Roasted Tomato and Garlic Marinara

I found this recipe on a blog and it looked so amazing I had to try it. Then I realized I had loads of tomatoes from my bountiful basket so I made it immediately. It turned out great! I took a picture....but again, the computer issue. My husband (our personal IT man) is home now but he's working on lots of stuff so once he gets the PC up and running then I can update all the pics! Until then...just trust me. I changed the original recipe a little, because I'm just rebellious like that.

Roasted Tomato and Garlic Marinara

20 plum tomatoes
30 garlic cloves
1 huge yellow onion, or two small ones
1/4 c. olive oil
drizzle of balsamic vinegar
plenty of sea salt
dried basil and oregano (about 1 Tb each)
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375. Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half. Separate and peel all of the garlic cloves and wrap them up in foil. Peel and cut the onion into wedges. Place all the vegetables in a 9x13'' pan and drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the top. Sprinkle on the salt and dried basil and oregano. Place the foil packet of garlic on top. Roast the veggies for 40 minutes. Let the veggies cool and puree them well in the food processer (removing the garlic from the foil). Simmer the tomato mixture over medium-low heat for two hours. Taste and adjust seasoning/salt. Stir in the fresh basil at the end. Serve over noodles and/or meatballs or sausage, or use in place of a jar of marinara in any recipe. Yum.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment