8/16/10

Pizza Pot Pie



This recipe is awesome. The first time I made it, Rob and I sat at the table in awe eating and eating and eating some more because it was sooo good. I first made this pizza several weeks ago and now every week when I go grocery shopping and I ask Rob if he wants to put anything on the list, he just says, "ummm....the deep dish pizza" which apparently qualifies as a grocery list item! Anyway, I've made it twice so far and it's on the menu again for this week because he just keeps begging for it and I'm 9 months pregnant so I better eat all the pizza I can before I have this baby because then the diet is ON. And we will quickly be back to broiled salmon, grilled chicken, and veggies.

Anyway, definitely make this recipe. This week I'm making it with a can of Pillsbury pizza dough because it's so easy and I got it on sale with a coupon for $.49 so I thought I'd try it! Here's the li nk for the original recipe. The possibilities are endless with this--sausage, pepperoni, chicken, ham & pineapple, maybe some pesto sauce and sliced chicken sausages--whatever you like you can make it work with this awesome recipe. I don't buy pizza sauce usually because it's pretty much a watered down version of spaghetti sauce, but more expensive so I just add a Tb or so of water to some marinara or I just add some seasoning to a can of tomato sauce. I'm cheap like that. Use whatever you like. Make this recipe your own.

Pizza Pot Pie
Crust:
1 pkg yeast
1 c. warm water
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tb vegetable oil
2 1/2 c. flour
Dissolve the yeast in the water. Add other crust ingredients and set aside while you prepare the rest of the pizza ingredients. (OR use a can of Pillsbury pizza crust and cook the pie 5 minutes less.)

Filling:
1 lb sausage, pepperoni, ham, chicken or combination of any meats
1 onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3 c. mozzarella
2 c. marinara or pizza sauce (we like it saucy, if you like less sauce, use less)
2 Tb melted butter
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 Tb dried basil
2 Tb parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425. Cook the sausage (or other meats) with garlic and onion. Drain well. Grease a 9x13'' pan well and layer the mozzarella cheese, sausage mixture, pepperoni, then the sauce. Then roll out the crust and lay it over the top. Brush the top of the crust with butter and sprinkle with granulated garlic, basil, and parmesan. Bake for 25 minutes. Let the pie rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Slice and serve upside down (crust on the bottom). Enjoy!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment