12/18/10

Meatballs



I always will just throw together meatballs or meatloaf and it turns out good but I never know what I actually did so I certainly couldn't tell anyone else.  This time I wrote it down and I have to say they turned out really good.  In fact I made them for a friend who was sick and her family loved them too and she asked me for the recipe.  So, you should make your own meatballs, at least once.  It is not hard and although the giant Costco bag is pretty good, this way you don't have 5 lbs of meatballs in your freezer for months.

I had bought a case of tomatoes from the co-op in August and made loads of homemade marinara sauce so this was a perfect dinner that didn't take a lot of time.

I used mostly ground beef and some sausage but you could certainly mix the meat however you want.  Just use 2 lbs.  If I wouldn't have taken some to a friend  I would've had some to put in the freezer for next time.  If  you do use more sausage, use less salt.

Meatballs

1/2 lb Italian sausage, hot or sweet
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 c. breadcrumbs
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tb parmesan cheese, grated
2 tsp onion flakes
2 tsp granulated garlic

Mix everything together in a bowl with your hands.  (Take off your rings first.)  Use a scoop or a small spoon to measure out the meatballs and roll them into balls.  Set aside.  When all the balls are rolled, heat a large  saute pan to medium heat and add 2 tsp olive oil.  Fill the bottom of the pan with meatballs, cooking on all sides, about 4-5 minutes.  Remove cooked meatballs to a plate or tray and repeat.  Place cooked meatballs in your marinara sauce, cover with barbecue sauce, or freeze.





post signature
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment