3/20/11

Cheater's General Tso Chicken


I saw an old friend this weekend and she said she was loving this blog but had noticed my blog-slacking.  It's true.  Life has been crazy around here which has adversely affected my blog updating. The upside to that is that I have still been cooking which means that I have a notebook full of recipes to post. This one's for you Brianne!

This may come as a shock, but I'm a sucker for a deal. So when the Sun-Bird Asian mixes were on sale aaaaand I had a coupon I had to get some.  I'm so happy I did.  This stuff is so good and I threw it together really fast and my son's comments (again) were, "Wow Mom, I love Pei Wei."  I love this because it's so quick it works well for an evening when we have something going on.

Cheater's General Tso Chicken

cooked rice
1 lb chicken thighs, chunked
1/4 c. flour
2 Tb vegetable oil
2 c. fresh broccoli, chopped
1 packet SunBird General Tso mix
2 Tb soy sauce
1/4 c. sugar (I used a bit less)
pinch of crushed red pepper (optional, we like spice)
1/2 c. water

While the rice is cooking chunk the chicken and toss it and the flour in a ziploc bag to coat.

In a bowl combine the seasoning mix, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and water.  Whisk the sauce ingredients well and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken and saute until brown tossing in the broccoli for the last minute of cooking.  Lower heat to medium and pour in the sauce.  Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until thickened.  (If the sauce thickens too quickly pour in a little extra water.) Serve over steamed white or brown rice.


post signature
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment