7/16/11

Jello Cake


My grandma used to make this cake all the time when we were kids.  I loved it.  I haven't made this cake in years, but the other day when we were having company for dessert in a few hours and it was 110 degrees outside and my kids were sleeping so I really really didn't want to go to the store, I glanced in the pantry to find a box of white cake mix--and it came to mind.  Then I missed Grammy.

This cake comes together really quickly with only a few ingredients and it really is a crowd-pleaser, even though it's not exactly gourmet!

Any flavor of Jello will work, I think I used raspberry because that's what I had.  It also calls for Cool Whip for the topping and you could certainly whip up some cream, but something about this cake just  needs Cool Whip.

Jello Cake
recipe from Grammy

1 box white cake mix
eggs, water, and oil called for on cake mix box
1 c. boiling water
1 3-oz box Jello
1/2 c. cold water
1 tub Cool Whip, defrosted

Prepare cake mix as directed and bake in a 9x13'' pan.  Once it comes out of the oven, prepare the Jello mixture.  Combine the boiling water and Jello in a bowl and stir until the Jello is dissolved.  Stir in the cold water, set aside.  Poke holes in the cake using a fork and pour the Jello mixture over the cake.  Refrigerate at least 3 hours before topping with Cool Whip and serving.  Store in the fridge.




post signature
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment