2/28/10

Bejing Beef


First off, I can't explain what happened to this picture--but if you're looking for professional food photograpy...keep looking. You will not find that here. But if you want good food...you can definitely find that here.

Secondly, for some reason I feel it necessary to tell you that currently I am watching "The BestThing I Ever Ate" that has been pre-recorded and adding restaurants to my Excell spreadsheet of Restaurants I MUST go to in my lifetime. While I blog--this is what I do. Because I mean, I wouldn't want to digest my dinner before I start planning my next 20 lbs out.

Ok back to business...I found this recipe on another food blog that I stumbled upon and I really like her recipes. This looked good, so I tried it. This is very good at-home Asian food. We will be having this a lot! I followed her recipe pretty closely, but I had to make extra sauce because, well, I like things saucy and I also did not deep fry the meat because I don't deep fry things as a rule. I eat deep fried food...I just dont do it myself, somehow that makes me feel better. This is not a difficult recipe, but it does take a bit more time so prepare. I wouldn't recommend doing this while your one year-old screams and hangs onto your ankles, but you do what you have to do. And, it was worth it.

Bejing Beef

Sauce:
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. ketchup
1/4 c. plus 1 tsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp sriracha sauce
2 Tb plus 1 tsp cornstarch

Mix the sauce all together and set aside.


Meat:
1 1/2 lbs flank steak, sliced very thinly against the grain
1 egg, beaten
3 Tb water
2 Tb cornstarch
Stir together egg, water, cornstarch and pour over flank steak in a gallon size ziploc bag. Marinate 10 minutes. Chop your veggies while this is marinating.

Veggies:
1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, diced


Once your sauce is mixed, the veggies are chopped, and your meat has marinated get out a large saute pan and heat 2 Tb vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the steak with 5-6 Tb more cornstarch and fry the meat in a few batches 2 minutes or so on each side, adding more oil as needed. Set aside the meat. Saute the veggies for a few minutes until crisp-tender and add in the sauce, bring to a boil and toss in the meat, stir and toss to coat cook a couple more minutes until the sauce is thickening a bit. Serve over rice. Yum


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment