2/4/10

Ice Cream Pie with homemade Caramel Sauce




I confess I've been a slacking blogger. Please forgive my delay in postings. I can't really explain what happens. I've been cooking, but we've just been really busy and then at night I sit in front of the TV (on the nights we're home) and gaze off in a trance-like state. So, to make up for my lazyness I will post two recipes for your enjoyment tonight. Might I add that they are both delicious and you should defintiely go to the store to get the ingredients and make them immediately.




Mmmm homemade caramel sauce. Enough said. Feel free to drizzle this amazing stuff over just about anything including frozen waffles or even white bread. Or in your morning coffee. Or dip a spoon in it and eat it straight up as an afternoon snack.


The caramel syrup I found on Pioneer Woman's blog. Her ice cream pie looked good but it had a meringue crust, and I'm not a huge fan of meringue so switched it up (and took a shortcut). I was inspired by the Snickers pie they had at Ritters and we loved it, and then they went out of business. So here's my nod to Ritters and their Snickers Custard Pie that was to die for.

Ice Cream Pie with Caramel Sauce

Sauce:
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
½ cups Half-and-half
Pinch Of Salt
1 Tablespoon Vanilla

Mix butter, brown sugar, half & half, and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until thicker. Add vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Turn off heat and pour sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold. (I doubled this recipe because I LOVE caramel sauce and I didn't want to run out before my pants got too tight.)

Pie:
1 store bought chocolate pie crust (You can absolutely toss a row of Oreos in a food processor and melt a stick of butter and mix it up and press it into a pie pan. But I'm lazy.)
2 pints ice cream (I used 1 pint butter pecan and 1 pint homemade vanilla--whatever you like)
2 Snickers bars

Set the ice cream out on the counter until spreadable. In the meantime use your food chopper or a knife to finely chop the Snickers bars, set aside. Spread your ice cream in the pie crust and sprinkle the Snickers on top. Put the pie back into the freezer at least one hour until it is firm. Drizzle each slice with caramel sauce. MMMM.






post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment