4/14/10

Refrigerator Pickles


So I've told you many times about the produce co-op I use. A few weeks ago I got a bunch of little pickling cucumbers that lookedl ike they came straight from someone's garden. I knew I couldn't use that many cucumbers dipping into hummus or tossed in a salad so I looked for a recipe to use them up and this is what I ended up doing. I found the base recipe on Allrecipes.com which is coincidentally my favorite recipe website.

The pickles turned out well and I felt pretty accomplished. Next--I will be sewing my children's clothes. (First I just have to learn to sew on a button.)



Refrigerator Pickles
6-7 small cucumbers (equalling 6 cups sliced cucumbers)
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. vinegar
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a few whole peppercorns
6 cloves garlic
Slice all the cucumbers and onions and pack them tightly into jars (or one big jar as I did). Pack them super full because once the liquid is poured on they will shrink up and you'll be able to fit the lid on. Cook the rest of the ingredients in a sauce pan until boiling and all of the sugar has dissolved. Pour liquid over the cucumbers. There may not be enough liquid to completely cover the pickles but that's ok, they'll shrink up. Put the lid on the container and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours...then they're ready.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment