5/27/10

White Chicken Green Chile Enchiladas


I saw this recipe on a blog and it seriously is my new favorite thing. Instead of making a 9x13 I made two 8'' pans and I'm pretty sure I single handedly ate the entire 8'' pan myself. I took one pan to my neighbor who had a baby and they seemed to like it too. This picture doesn't make the enchiladas look as awesome as they taste, so just take my word for it--and try it.
In fact, today I'm at my sister's house in Texas and I'm making these enchiladas along with my homemade salsa for dinner tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

The original recipe called for flour tortillas but I thought they may get mushy so I used corn instead and they turned out great.


White Chicken Green Chile Enchiladas

12 corn tortillas
3 cups shredded chicken
seasoned salt & pepper for chicken
3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
3 Tb butter
3 Tb flour
1 c. sour cream
1 can chicken broth (2 cups)
salt & pepper
1 7 oz can diced green chiles
cilantro for garnish


Preheat oven to 400. Mix 1 1/2 cups cheese with the chicken after seasoning the chicken well. Either roll the enchiladas individually or dice the tortillas into 1'' squares and layer half the tortillas on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Top with the chicken/cheese mixture and layer the other half of the tortillas on top.


In a large skillet melt the butter and sprinkle the flour in, stir and let cook 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Stir in sour cream and green chiles. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to yourliking. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro at the end if desired. Enjoy!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment