2/24/11

Chicken & Cream Cheese Enchiladas


So, I read this book called The Belly Fat Cure and because I'm at a bit of a post-baby weightloss standstill (aka, belly fat) I decided to try it out.  So far, it works! And, the book is very interesting and somewhat enlightening.

Anyway, you can have corn tortillas and enchiladas on the diet, so here they are!  My friend brought me a similar batch of enchiladas when I had the baby and we loved them so I based this batch on her recipe. They were very good!

When I make Enchiladas I usually chop up the tortillas and layer like a casserole instead of rolling the enchiladas, it's probably a personal problem but I can never keep the tortillas from breaking! (If you're wondering, YES I've heated them, dipped them in sauce/stock...doesn't work for me.) So on that tangent, do what you want.

Chicken & Cream Cheese Enchiladas
2 large chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs)
Seasoned salt, garlic, cumin (or your choice of seasoning) for chicken
1 packet McCormick Enchilada sauce mix (found by the taco seasoning and gravy mix)
1 small can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c. water
8-9 corn tortillas
4 oz cream cheese, softened and heated until easily spreadable
4 oz can chopped green chiles
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 c. cojita cheese, crumbled OR crumbled feta
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, grated and divided
1/2 c. green onions, chopped
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped

Start by cooking the chicken.  I seasoned mine well and grilled it.  You can certainly bake or boil it and then season it.  Shred the chicken and set aside.  In a small saucepan mix together the sauce seasoning packet, tomato sauce, and water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes until slightly thickened.  Remove from heat and set aside. 

Preheat oven to 375. Now either layer or roll the enchiladas in a 9x13 pan, tortillas on the bottom, then spread the cream cheese, chicken, onions, green chiles, and 3/4 c. cheddar cheese.   Top with another layer of tortillas and cover with sauce. Sprinkle the top with feta or cojita cheese and bake 15 minutes.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheddar cheese on the top and bake another 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle the green onions and cilantro over the top.  Serve with sour cream.

post signature
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment