1/24/11

Pear Crisp with Caramel Sauce



I got a bag of bosc pears in my basket last weekend and I thought I'd make a dessert with them.  So after much internet research, I decided I'd try the Pioneer Woman's pear crisp.  I mean, time and again and again and again she has proven to be a cooking stud so why not?

I'm happy to report that the pear crisp was awesome!  I went the extra mile and made a batch of caramel sauce and served it at a meeting with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce drizzled over it.  YUM.  I got lots of compliments (for PW).  I made a couple very tiny changes to her original recipe because of what I had and how much I needed to make.

Pear Crisp10 firm, smallish pears.  Peeled, cored & diced.
2 granny smith apples Peeled, cored & diced
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp salt

3 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. chopped nuts (I used almonds and walnuts, but PW used pecans)
2 sticks butter or margerine, melted

Mix together the fruit with the sugar and salt.  Spread the pear mixture in a 9x13'' pan.  In a separate bowl mix together flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts.  Drizzle the melted butter or margerine into the flour mixture in batches, stirring it together with a fork.  Sprinkle the topping on the pear mixture.  Bake 50 minutes, then move the crisp to the top oven rack and bake another 10 minutes to brown the topping.  Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream and caramel sauce!


post signature
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: